Monday, July 25, 2011

You Know It's Too Hot When the Ducks Start to Pant

Chris and I very slowly made our way to the Capitol so he could get a good look at it. The brain damange inflicted on me by the sun that weekend is making it difficult to recall details about this adventure but at least we got some good pictures!
Chris and the Capitol.

These ducklings were hiding from the sun in the shadow cast by their mother. The mom kept getting annoyed and moving and then they would practically dive under her belly again. There were four other ducklings laid out next to these ones and one was actually panting. I have never seen ducks pant before but this sighting confirms that not all birds are intelligent.

The Capitol Building is impressive from every angle.



Here I am with a couple other people ruining my picture.


Chris and I eventually gave up on being tourists and did what we do best: find the bars! After a snaffu with the Red Line Metro, which was under construction and caused a lengthy delay (our destination was only two stops away but I refused to walk any farther), we found Thai food in Dupont Circle. We then found a delightful little sports bar and finally a gay club (it was karaoke night). I was in a delightful mood thanks to the two glasses of wine I'd had with my curry and in the mood to be festive, and I also felt like I should make it up to Chris for being such a crabby bitch the night before and basically refusing to leave the house. We met some very nice men and had some giggles and sang along to some karaoke numbers which were heavy on the Amy Winehouse selections. I was happy to end the last night of our weekend together on such a high note.

No comments: