Saturday, July 2, 2011

My New Home

Saturday I moved into my permanent place, for the rest of summer at least, in the Columbia Heights neighborhood. This neighborhood is in Northeast D.C., to the west of Howard University, and is known as one of the up-and-coming neighborhoods. It is also east of the Latino neighborhood, which was obvious as I took my first eight-block walk to the grocery store over the weekend. My new apartment is about a 35 minute walk from my office in Dupont. An old friend from SU hooked me up with a friend of hers here whose roommate was moving to Boston. The girl, Rebecca, is also going to be gone for most of the summer until mid-August, so I will largely have this place to myself!

Some gorgeous old buildings on my walk from Dupont to my apartment in Columbia Heights.
My apartment building.


The school next to our building (whose mascot is the Clerks, which I love!); in the far distance you may be able to make out the Washington Monument on the left and the Capitol Building dome on the right.

My spartan bedroom.



The communal spaces.



Our little porch overlooking the courtyard; it would be very peaceful except for the constant din of everyone's air conditioners.





1 comment:

Meagan said...

What gorgeous pictures!