Monday, July 18, 2011

My Walk to Georgetown

Saturday I decided to stroll from my apartment to Georgetown and stop along the way if something caught my eye. In this fashion, I happened upon a museum in the former home of President Woodrow Wilson, his home for the three years he lived after the presidency. The house had been preserved with most of the original items on display, and a very enthusiastic and knowledgable guide led me and a few others on a tour of the house. I love old-timey artifacts, and there were so many to revel in here! It was a fascinating way to learn more about a man and his presidency by experiencing his home and being surrounded by his belongings. My fun historical fact of the day: Mrs. Wilson, who was the President's second wife, was a direct descendent of Pocahontas and John Rolfe!

The Wilson house.
The parlor and also the site of the President's funeral.

The President's study; behind the couch you may be able to make out the desk that he used at the White House.

A portrait of Mrs. Wilson dominates the dining room.

This bed is a replica Mrs. Wilson had made for her husband of the 7-foot Lincoln bed in the White House. This is the bed President Wilson died in.

Mrs. Wilson was a bit of a fashionista; this was one of her hats.

The lower set is Wilson's presidential china, and the upper set is a special set made as a gift depicting all the flags of the allied nations.

A marvelous old sink made out of zinc, a softer metal that would not chip dishes if you were careless with the china.

For some reason, this kitchen reminded me of my stepmom.

Wilson's back yard, where you can apparently get married!

After my tour of the Wilson house, I went nextdoor to the textile museum. Perhaps I was experiencing museum fatigue, or else I was comparing it to the textile museums I experienced in Bolivia, but I was underwhelmed. However, there were some lovely, ancient pieces and beautiful grounds.


Navajo weaving, which renewed my desire to visit the Southwest.



The back gardens of the Textile Museum, where I found a small table to have a snack and talk to my dad and Glo on the phone.


It was a lovely day for a walk, and I enjoyed my stroll over to Georgetown.


Some sort of bison guarding the Q Street bridge into Georgetown.

Along the way, I discovered a clutter of unkempt tombstones that turned out to be an old Methodist burrying ground. Many of the tombstones were over a century old!





No comments: