Monday, July 18, 2011

Historic African American DC

The coolest thing about my neighborhood is that it is steeped in African American history. U Street corridor, which is four blocks south of my place, was in the past a vibrant community of civil rights leaders and famous folk like Duke Ellington, who grew up on T Street; Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald performed in the area. However, the exodus of the African American middle class to the suburbs that accompanied integration gutted U Street. It was prettymuch ripped apart by the race riots of 1968 and then became a ghetto. It remained an epicenter of drugs until the 90s, when the metro station and condo development began to change the area. Now, U Street is hoppin' on weekends, and has some cute botiques and a ton of Ethiopian food.

The subway stop I use most frequently on U Street is right next to the African American Civil War memorial.
The walls hold the names of African American Civil War soldiers.



My area of town is also known for its soul food restaurants. I decided to try a place just down the street for Sunday brunch. Their theme is Zora Neale Hurton, and the inside is a beautiful, rich space with brightly colored murals on the wall.


Restaurant artwork.




My meal was bacon jalapeno hash with steamed greens and poached eggs, AND LAVENDER LEMONADE!

"Sometimes I feel discriminated against, but it does not make me angry. It merely astonishes me. How can any deny themselves the pleasure of my company? It's beyond me."

My neighborhood, Columbia Heights, is actually known as the Latino neighborhood, but just east of my apartment is Howard University, the country's oldest tradionally African American college. Founded in 1867, the college has graduated such notables as Thurgood Marshall and Toni Morrison. After brunch, I walked over to the campus and poked around.

On my way, I discovered this neat little garden in what I assume are donated, repurposed bathtubs.

The undergraduate library.

I think this building was named after Frederick Douglass.

A reservior on the edge of campus.

Continuing my walk northeast, I encountered the ruins of a water filtration plant, which to my dismay were completely fenced in.


Ruins.





After what felt like a very long walk, I headed back to my neighborhood and along the way stopped to take a picture of St. Augustine Church, which is a Catholic chruch that has an African American gospel choir that performs at its 12:30 Sunday masses in Kenti clothing. The promised spectacle might just get me back to church!

St. Augustine.

A block from the church is a gorgeous park named after Malcom X. It was lively and full of people on Sunday! I have been very impressed with the quantity and quality of DC's green spaces.


Malcom X Park.



No comments: