Monday, July 18, 2011

Georgetown

By the time I finally got to Georgetown, I was exhausted, hot, cranky, and experiencing a low bloodsugar, so bear that in mind when I saw I did not like the area very much. I was overwhelmed by the crowd of young, spoiled girls slamming me in the legs with their shopping bags. I did, however, enjoy the C&O Canal and Towpath, which was a canal constructed in the 19th century to enable the flow of goods from Washington, D.C. to the American West, which at the time apparently started 185 miles away in Maryland. The canal is aided by a series of locks and boats were originally towed by horses, and now the trial is a fun way to stroll through Georgetown, and a little removed from the madness!

The canal and towpath with an old-timey boat.
A view of a Georgetown chapel as I walked along the path.

Although I stopped in Georgetown for sustenance, the sun and the immense amount of walking from earlier in the day and my memorial tour the night before were catching up with me. I somehow managed to find my way to Georgetown University's campus, which was not an easy thing to do since I approached it from the towpath and sort of enetered from the backside of the University, with the service vehicles. The campus, like much of D.C., seems in the midst of construction, so I struggled through a series of walkways and detours and finally found the heart of campus.

On the way, I discovered this lovely Jesuit cemetery.

A magnificent building on campus.





Healey Hall, complete with a magestic clock tower. I sat on a nearby bench under a tree for over an hour and reveled/rested.



My day ended at the apartment of my new friend Jenna, who lives about seven blocks north of campus. She had invited me and her boyfriend over for drinks on the roof of her building, which has a spectacular view of prettymuch all of D.C. We ate snacks, drank beer, ran our mouths, and enjoyed the lovely evening and the sunset. The weather was actually quite cool and comfortable in the evening.


D.C. from the roof.

The Potomac River.

The National Cathedral on the hill above Jenna's apartment.

Sunset.

No comments: