Saturday, July 23, 2011

D.C. United v. the New England Revolution

Since my Seattle Sounders were facing soccer legends Manchester United on Wednesday, I decided I shouldn't be left out of soccer fun just because I was across the country. I got a ticket to see D.C. United face off against the New England Revolution. The stadium was a few blocks from the place I stayed during my first week in the city, so it was kind of fun to revisit my old 'hood.

A billboard in front of the stadium.

Robert F. Kennedy Memeorial Stadium.

The view of the field from my seat.
Warming up in front of almost nobody.

Mascot!









United huddle in front of the supporters section.

Kickoff.


The play was rather lackluster. I think the weather must have had something to do with it. The United goalie had a couple of cool saves, and there were a couple of runs on the Revolution's goal, but the passing was pretty sloppy. Still, I was happy to be at a soccer match!


The Revolution take a corner kick.

There was actually an amazing halftime show, on account of Armed Services Appreciation Night. There was some sort of military drill team, and they performed a series of tricks with their bayonets for about 15 minutes. They tricks were intricate, visually stunning, and technically impressive! In some ways it was more exciting than the action on the field had been!


In the second half, a D.C. United defender tried to head a ball back to his goalie. I am not exactly sure of the circumstances, but the ball was poorly headed and the goalie had to dive to try to save the ball, but he couldn't and the Revolution ended up getting a corner kick, which they scored off of in the 72nd minute. After that, there were few opportunities for United to score, and the final was one-nil Revolution. All in all, not the most exciting match of my life, but it was really cool to experience MLS in a different stadium with two different teams, and as my dad said, enjoy a game for the love of the sport without having to be emotionally tied to the score. Indeed, father.

No comments: