Friday, January 18, 2008

Fucking doctors!

Okay, I have had my fill of doctors today. This is a pretty touchy subject to begin with, since I have been seeing them for most of my life pretty regulary, have had some bad experiences, and have become rather opinionated on the topic in general.

To start at the beginning, I had an appointment for a physical today because I have to get this health form filled out for my program. It basically says that whatever the conditions of my health are, they won't affect my ability to participate in the program. So, I don't have a general practitioner, because I don't really trust most doctors to begin with, and when something happens to me medically, I just want to see my endo (doctor specializing in diabetes, which for me is my nurse practitioner, whom I love and have known since I was 7 and who has diabetes herself by the way so she knows what the fuck she's talking about!). So, I called because I have an appointment with her soon and I wanted her to fill out the health form, but her assistant said she probably couldn't because there may be some questions she wouldn't be able to answer. So I go to a family medicine guy, and he actually has his resident take care of me, which is fine, but goddamn I hate talking about my diabetes with general practitioners. They never know what the fuck they're talking about and act all concerned over stuff that happens on a daily basis and that is pretty normal when you're living with diabetes. For example, she was asking me about my bloodsugars (which for the record are the best they've ever been in my whole life, a feat I've worked particularly hard to achieve). She asked me if I ever go high and low, and I was like, uh, yeah, like almost every day. And she made "concerned face," and asked me how low I get, and I told her, you know, sometimes 50 or 60, because, come on, you do! And then she made "extra-concerned face," and I said, "Look, it would be wonderful if my bloodsugars could be perfect and balanced all the time, but that's really not realistic when you live with diabetes every day. There are factors that I cannot control that sometimes lead to high and low bloodsugars." And then she said, "Well, we understand that, but we just want to make sure it's not something that's happening to you at night, when you wouldn't be waking up or something." So then I said, "Okay, well, I've had this disease for over 18 years, and I've never had a seizure or gone into diabetic coma, which I think is pretty great. Any concerns I have or problems that I need to work out are done with my nurse practitioner, because she has known me since I was really little and I trust her. So I think I'm okay." I didn't mean to be so confrontational, but there's very little I hate more in life than being lectured on how to take care of myself by someone that has no fucking clue what living with diabetes is actually like.

Fucking bitch. I hope her pancreas breaks like mine did in 1989. Then she can tell me about low and high bloodsugars, and I would think about listening to her.

No comments: