Thursday, December 18, 2008

The End of an Era

Friday, November 21st was the first night of our last weekend together in Chillan. Yes, most of us were or are coming back, but at different times, so that Friday we decided to go out big one last time. Felipe had a grand idea to go karaoke, but the place we went to only had karaoke on Tuesdays and Thursdays. By coincidence, we ended up at the pub on grunge rock cover band night, and I enjoyed a night of jamming to my favorite junior high school songs by Bush, Nirvana, and Pearl Jam. I was so excited at one point that as I heard the opening chords to a Nirvana song, I screamed out "Soy de Seattle! Soy de Seattle!" The entire bar laughed at me!

The Chillan crew on our last night together at Republik.

Felipe and I making sad faces because I am leaving.
A celebratory shot, because what is saying goodbye to Chillan without our ubiquitous tequila?
"Soy de Seattle! Soy de Seattle!"
It ended up being one of the greatest nights we spent in Chillan. After Republik, we headed to our favorite, or "favorite," disco, The Balmaceda. God I am going to miss that place. It is so sweaty and gross, and they always blast the best reggaeton hits. You are guaranteed to see at least five people you know, whether they are friends or people you have made out with before. We had a great night dancing and taking crazy pictures. It was exactly how I wanted to say goodbye to going out in Chillan. I don't understand how I am expected to return to the United States and enjoy going out, where pubs and discos close at 2 am. In Chile, the party doesn't really get started until two, and it is not unusual to return home as the sun is rising. The men here all love, or appear to love, dancing, and reggaeton is way more fun to dance to that most American music. My Chillan friends and I have made the most of our partying, though, and they have been the best companions for the madness of Chilean nightlife. I am going to miss partying with them so much! Thanks for the memories, Chillan crew. It will never be the same without you.

No comments: