Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Touring the Capitol Building

I continued my beautiful walk purposefully to the Capitol.



After waiting in a series of lines (security line to enter the Visitor Center, which is underneath the flat expanse of concrete in front of the Capitol Building, a line to pick up my ticket, and then a line to go on the tour). The tour itself was a little disappointing in that you are shuttled between several points of interest inside the building without much historical context or interesting annecdotes. There are multiple tours happening at the same time and groups are nesteled into every space possible, crossing in front of your camera angles and making noise. I knew I was in trouble when I found out 15 minutes of my tour would be spent watching a historical video. It was informative, but I was hoping for more time inside. Incidentally, I think I took a similar tour when I was here a decade ago with the diabetic teen lobbying group I was a part of. When I got inside the dome, I remembered being up there with my dear friend Andrea.


A replica of the Statue of Freedom that sits atop the Capitol Dome. It was cast from the mold that formed her and currently resides in the Visitors Center.

First we went into some sort of basement room called the Crypt, I think because the original plan was to burry people there? I can't really remember.

The dome is really gorgeous, and its splendor is difficult to capture on film.



Huge paintings adorn the walls inside the dome. This one is of Pocahontas being baptized so she could marry John Rolfe.

Then we went into the original Senate chamber. As the United States grew and added more states and senators, the Senate was moved. We saw the place where John Quincy Adams' desk and chair were, commemorated by a plaque.

Another view of the original Senate chamber. You can see many of the 100 different statues that are on display throughout the building. Each state has two. I never found either of Washington's.

Being inside the Capitol Building was cool, but I definitely wanted a little more. I guess not every touristic experience can be stirring.


I hurried out of the building and crossed the street to the Library of Congress so I could make a 10:30 tour over there.


Another view of the dome on my way across the street.


No comments: