Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Unsettled

I feel the need to post, although I realize as I write this that I don't actually feel like sharing the things I feel compelled to talk about.

So, I will commence with a short list of things that are bothering me:

1. being far away during a family health crisis
2. a series of bad decisions I made last Friday
3. a lingering cough
4. high blood sugars
5. a terse exchange with my coteacher
6. the debate tournament, for which I am the school coach
7. yesterday's junk food binge

The last couple weeks have been really hard for me, actually. I have started to miss home, which I think has been an odd sort of relief, because I was wondering if I ever really would miss home. I tell people I miss home all the time, but it was more out of habit or that I thought they needed to hear it. But now, it is official.

On the other hand, I have been really proud of my Spanish recently. I am feeling a lot more fluid in conversation, something else that I was starting to doubt would ever happen. Tonight I participated in a lengthy conversation at onces, and yesterday Felipe and I talked about Latin American politics, and for the first time I felt like I shared a little something about myself with him. Also, Felipe said he would help me download and burn all the episodes of my favorite Chilean telenovela, Don Amor, so I can watch in when I get back to the US. It's really, really good, but I fail to watch it every night. However, I can't lie. I do miss American television.

Also, to end on a good note, I bought a ticket to Valdivia for next weekend. We have a federal holiday on Friday, so for the three day weekend, I have decided on some alone time in a new place. Not to wallow, though. Valdivia is supposed to be the most beautiful city in the Lakes District, and as I am currently reading Isabel Allende's Inez of my Soul, a historical fiction about the life of Pedro de Valdivia and his lover, it seemed appropriate. It will probably rain in Valdivia. I like that.

No comments: