Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Mamacita, donde esta Santa Claus?

This morning, I arrived to work fifteen minutes early, walked into my dad's office, and gave him a giant grin. Yes, it's true, I'm in a fantastic mood today; the source of my cheerful disposition is two giant, sky blue rolling duffel bags I purchased yesterday at Macy's for 50% off. I think I was happier with that purchase than any thrift store find, any expensive Anthropologie skirt in my entire life. It's been an amazing transition for me to buy things that I need rather than things I want. I've learned that there can be just as much satisfaction in the former as the latter. And, I'm proud to say I have purchased only Christmas presents since I started working at Anthro. I'm not sure anyone thought me capable of that, including myself.

Just seeing the hulking bags, rolling them around my house or the mall, picturing the packing job ahead of me makes me excited. It was the same feeling I got when I was looking at my Mexico pictures with Ashley...anticipation of what lies ahead. I should crack open my guidebooks again, and work on making an itinerary for Argentina. When Chris and I were on the way out of Macy's, Mrs. Claus hollered, "Looks like someone's going on a trip!" and I yelled back, "I'm going to Chile!" It was an awkward exchange, and amusing nonetheless.

I am presented again with the concern that I need to be in better shape in order to haul my life around behind me in duffel bags for a year. Chris suggested for my workout routine filling my duffels with rocks and walking around the block a few times!

I got an email last week from my program. Apparently, it is now a program requirement to complete a 60-hour online Spanish course to participate in the program. While this makes me panic a little (the program won't be running until January; how am I supposed to complete 60 hours of study in two months with my crazy schdule?) it is actually a fortunate development. So far, I've studied approximately 15 minutes of Spanish lessons out of my workbook. With my departure date creeping ever closer, the likelihood of me studying on my own is in a downward trend. (How much farther can you fall from 15 minutes in the last six months?) I have never been good at studying; I tend to just throw some time at a project at the last minute, and no matter how I do, it always seems satisfactory. I was approcahing Spanish with that same attitude; whatever I have done when I leave will be fine, I will make it work...but probably most other volunteers do that too and it doesn't work out so they're making us take this course. How lucky for me!

WorldTeach should also be sending out some more informative mailings in the next couple weeks. Freaking finally! Since I like to plan as far in advance as possible, it has been killing me slightly having such little information at my disposal.

Today I made a spreadsheet in excel of the remaining supplies I need to purchase (or ask for for Christmas), as well as a "to pack" list. I wish I had more information about my teaching responsibilities. It's difficult to plan to buy teaching supplies when I have no idea what my assignment will be. Whatever I end up taking, my stuff now has a giant blue home, which pleases me to no end!

No comments: